Did you realize your AC unit requires regular HVAC repair and maintenance? When your air conditioner stops cooling your house properly, it’s often an unexpected, out-of-pocket expense and no fun for homeowners to deal with. All year long, Texas weather can be relentless on your HVAC system. Keeping your air conditioner maintained, you will not only save money on energy, but you will also extend the lifespan of your HVAC system.
It’s important to know that you have an AC system you can depend on.
So, first……before calling a technician, you will want to start with the following troubleshooting tips (in no particular order):
- Checking The Thermostat – It could be one of your family members, which may have changed the setting on your thermostat.
- Try Turning on the AC’s Fan – If it starts the blower is getting power, so it could be a problem with the thermostat or bigger issue with the AC unit. If it does not start, there may be an issue with the blower.
- Checking The Power – Sometimes it may be a tripped circuit or blown fuse. Reset connection or change fuse.
- Checking The Filter – If your air filter is dirty or clogged, this could cause your AC unit to malfunction and may need to be professionally unclogged.
If none of the options above work, then one of Elite’s Heating and Air Conditioning trained technicians will be able to diagnose the problem and fix your air conditioner.
Here are some other common reasons for calling an Elite licensed technician for AC repairs:
Refrigerant Issues: Refrigerant is a common AC repair problem. The gas in the air conditioning system is sometimes referred to as Freon, which is a generic term for the class of AC refrigerants or coolants typically used. This is essential for cooling the air that blows out of your air conditioner.
- Low Refrigerant – At times, this may need to be replaced or topped off, which your HVAC professional will supply during the service call.
- Refrigerant Leak – You may have a leak if you hear strange noises, notice your AC’s cooling output is decreasing, hear a hissing sound, evaporator coils are frozen, or you see dirt in the AC lines. When it comes to detecting and repairing a Freon leak, well this is a larger issue with an AC system. These leaks can get worse over time and should be dealt with as soon as possible. Depending on where the leak is located, repairs can cost between hundreds and thousands of dollars.
For those of you that are environmentally aware, if the leak is outside, this Freon leak can contribute to depleting the ozone layer. If the leak is inside your home it can affect your family’s health by getting into the airflow.
FYI … adding more Freon to your air conditioner will not make this problem go away. You will want to make sure to get any leaks fixed as quickly as possible.
Clogged Drain Issue: If the water line from the condenser becomes clogged, or if you start to have water leaks, it can become costly. Elite technicians will find the cause of the problem, clear the clog in the condenser, and pour a cleaning solution down the drain line to further flush the system clear.
Broken Compressor Fan or Frozen Condenser Coils: The AC’s outside unit is where you will find the compressor, fan, and condenser coils. These components work to release heat from the air, transferring it out of your home to produce that cool, enjoyable indoor climate. When the outdoor fan isn’t working correctly, the heat transfer process is hindered. Not only will this prevent your AC from adequately cooling your home, a broken fan can cause the system’s compressor to overheat. This overheating can also cause damage to the compressor itself, requiring a costly compressor replacement. Poor airflow through your cooling system can cause ice to form on the coils.
If you think you have any of these AC repair issues, contact Elite Heating and Air Conditioning today. One of our skilled HVAC technicians can diagnose the problem and offer solutions that will fit right into your budget.
When Should You Replace Your AC System:
Typically, your AC should be replaced every 10 years and in some cases your AC system can last longer. But if you’re giving your AC a run for its money and not properly maintaining it, it could be sooner. These systems break down sooner because they work much harder than they are supposed to.
HVAC systems that are too old are just plain unreliable, and have a tendency to break down. This causes them to use more energy than they should and can cause your monthly utility bills to escalate. This is where you need to decide if you should keep shelling out money on repairs where you end up paying more to keep fixing it than if you go ahead and invest in a newer unit. The services your HVAC professional provides will depend on what part(s) of the HVAC unit that is broken and needs replaced.
At Elite Heating and Air Conditioning, technicians have combined their licensed skills with Trane’s specialized certification. We provide professionalism with a steady commitment when it comes to honest dealing and doing business with integrity in North and South Austin as well as West Lake Hills, Lakeway, Leander, Pflugerville, Round Rock and surrounding cities.We understand problems don’t always happen in the daylight hours. That’s why we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We also make AC financing easy! Getting an HVAC replacement doesn’t have to be a burden on your finances. We create a plan that fits in your budget. And even if you have less than ideal credit, give us a call. We’ve been able to help people in many types of financial circumstances get the HVAC replacement they want with the financing they need. We have interest free financing up to five years and provide a 10 year parts and 2 year labor warranty. Learn more on how you can be enrolled into the Austin Energy Rebate Program.
Call us now at (512) 637-4237